Patrick McEnroe says return was like ‘a punch to the gut’ Tokyo could be chosen for 2020 Olympics in September 2018

Sport Patrick McEnroe says return was like ‘a punch to the gut’ Tokyo could be chosen for 2020 Olympics in September 2018

Osaka withdrawal news was like ‘a punch to the gut,’ says Patrick McEnroe Patrick McEnroe. Photograph: Peter Read

Patrick McEnroe compared the announcement that Tokyo could be the site of the 2020 Olympics to “being punched in the gut” and felt he was robbed of Olympic representation.

McEnroe, son of the tennis legend John McEnroe, said he felt robbed of a future at a tournament in Japan where tennis, he had been selected to be part of the mixed doubles team two years ago.

Japanese Olympic officials made a verbal announcement on Tuesday that they would be withdrawing their candidacy due to concerns over pollution in Tokyo Bay.

McEnroe said: “I feel I was cheated. In Japan, where I really wanted to represent the US at the Olympics and the mixed doubles event and maybe even play at the next Olympics in 2024 in Tokyo. And I really am very disappointed because this is a great opportunity to go. It was disappointing when I heard the news.

“Being in Tokyo was one of the best things that happened to me in my career. It was a huge dream to play on the Centre Court in front of as many as 48,000 people at the Olympics.”

The IOC’s executive board will vote to select the host city for the Olympics in September.

Japan rejected a proposal that would have seen Rio reduced to a single Games in 2024 with Barcelona and Chicago given the nod in 2028, but the bid was one of three in the running – the others were in Los Angeles and Madrid.

Leave a Comment